Refer a Patient to Miami Burn Center
UHealth – University of Miami Health System physicians and specialized clinicians from a variety of disciplines will work with you to provide continuing care to your patient, whether on an admissions basis or as an outpatient. We accept any burn patient who is referred to our center.
Call Miami Burn Center to talk with a burn clinician about your patient by calling 305-585-BURN (2876). This line is staffed from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; after hours, leave a message and we’ll call you back.
Burn Center Referral Criteria
According to the American Burn Association, through the American College of Surgeons, patients with any of the following should be referred to a certified burn center:
- Second-degree burns greater than or equal to 10 percent of total body surface area
- Third-degree burns in any age group
- Burns of any size and depth on the face, hands or fingers, feet or toes, genitalia, groin, perineum, or major joints
- Electrical burns
- Lightning injury
- Chemical burns
- Inhalation injury
- Pre-existing medical disorders that could complicate management, prolong recovery, or affect mobility
- Children needing qualified personnel and equipment at Florida’s only verified pediatric burn center
- Requirements for special social, emotional, or long-term rehabilitation intervention
- Concomitant trauma: Any patient with burns and concomitant trauma (other injuries such as broken bones, fractures, brain injuries, inhalation injuries, or abdominal trauma) in which the burn poses the greatest risk of morbidity or mortality
Download the American Burn Association’s Burn Center Referral Criteria.